[Mimedefang] HUGE problem with mimedefang

Mickey Hill mickey at mickeyhill.com
Fri Apr 22 13:24:18 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 11:04 -0400, David F. Skoll wrote:
> It also has some distracting instructions like installing Webmail,
> POP3 and IMAP servers, which really have nothing to do with MIMEDefang.
> It's a good HOWTO, but skip section 4 completely.

You're right. <slashing and burning>  Shouldn't try to be all things to
all people.

> And where possible, use packaged software from your vendor.  Most modern
> Linux/BSD/Solaris boxes come with a milter-enabled Sendmail, for example,
> so you can usually skip section 3 as well.

Quite a bit of it is outdated and not best practice anymore (or maybe my
practices weren't the best when I wrote it).  Time to revisit and
revise.

The most common question I seem to hear is "Where's the Fedora Core
HOWTO?"  Is it a reasonable assumption that if you're running something
other than Fedora, you probably know enough to understand and adapt
Fedora-specific instructions?  Or, in other words, what's the most
effective focus of this particular HOWTO for a) experienced admins new
to MIMEDefang, or b) inexperienced admins in general?

--
Mickey Hill
mickey at mickeyhill.com