[Mimedefang] Re: (offtopic) RPM build trick

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Fri Apr 22 12:08:17 EDT 2005

--On Friday, April 22, 2005 11:31 AM -0400 Dave O'Neill
<dmo at roaringpenguin.com> wrote:

># mkdir -p /some/writeable/path/{BUILD,RPMS,SOURCES,SPECS,SRPMS}
>
> You should now be able to run 'rpmbuild' as yourself, and your binary
> RPMs will appear under /some/writeable/path/RPMS

In fact, that's my normal setup. I just presented the /usr/src/redhat
approach as a shortcut. I create a user specifically for building packages,
set up with a .rpmmacros and the appropriate directory structure, and do
all my packaging as that user.

The .rpmmacros trick is particularly good for multi-user systems with
multiple developers doing packaging, as each developer gets his own sandbox
to package in.