[Mimedefang] Streams and MaxRecipientsPerMessage

Kelson kelson at speed.net
Tue Apr 19 12:24:44 EDT 2005

WBrown at e1b.org wrote:
> Once the MTA authors adopt any new standard, the spammers will.  Look at
> SPF.  Their income *REQUIRES* adaptability to stay ahead (or at least)
> even in the cat and maouse game of filtering.

I'm not sure SPF is a good example.  While I'm sure *some* spammers
actually thought in terms of "Hey, if I keep using fake addresses, some
of them will have SPF records and get me blocked" or even "Whoa, these
people are going to start blocking mail without SPF, I'd better add
that!" I suspect most of it was due to the misconception that an SPF
pass will get you through a filter.

I'm not saying the motivation won't be there, just that it won't be very
strong when there's a guaranteed multi-year transition period in which
the old standard will still get the mail through.

--
Kelson Vibber