[Mimedefang] Foreign Character Sets.

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Mon Apr 18 10:28:34 EDT 2005

--On Monday, April 18, 2005 9:20 -0500 Keith Patton
<kpatton at dallas.photronics.com> wrote:

> Sorry but I forgot to attach the address..
>
> This is being generated from the Sun messaging server ( previously named
> netscape/iplanet )...
>
> Delivery Failure Report
>>
>>  Your              Hi~Here is Cherly
>>  document:
>>
>>  was not           insook at pkl.co.kr
>>  delivered
>>  to:
>>
>>  because:          554 5.7.1 bad address syntax:

Works for me-- unless it rejects after DATA is sent, which could be.
It looks like the bad address is supposed to be after the colon.  Was
there nothing there?  Could it be the sender address they didn't like?

(I forgot to say HELO but it did not care.)

Joseph Brennan
Academic Technologies Group, Academic Information Systems (AcIS)
Columbia University in the City of New York

$ host -t mx pkl.co.kr
pkl.co.kr mail is handled by 20 pkldmz52.pkl.co.kr.
pkl.co.kr mail is handled by 50 chess.photronics.com.
pkl.co.kr mail is handled by 50 taboo.photronics.com.
New mail just arrived.
$ telnet pkldmz52.pkl.co.kr 25
Trying 203.232.76.52...
Connected to pkldmz52.pkl.co.kr (203.232.76.52).
Escape character is '^]'.
220 local52.pkl.photronics.com ESMTP Photronics Mail Gateway Ready
mail from:<>
250 2.1.0 <>... Sender ok
rcpt to:<insook at pkl.co.kr>
250 2.1.5 <insook at pkl.co.kr>... Recipient ok
quit
221 2.0.0 local52.pkl.photronics.com closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.