[Mimedefang] How can mimedefang use spamc/spamd funcitonsofspamassassin?

John Nemeth jnemeth at victoria.tc.ca
Tue Apr 12 17:29:55 EDT 2005

On Sep 2,  5:28am, <Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com> wrote:
} Matthew.van.Eerde wrote:
} > Keith Patton wrote:
} >> The best I can figure out is that mimedefang is using spamassassin
} >> -t and not spamc/spamd.
} >>
} >> Is there anyone out here that has accomplished getting it to use
} >> spamc/spamd?  or does anyone have any ideas on how to accomplish with
} >> the least amount of effort?
} >
} > The best idea I've heard (IMHO - others disagree) is to write a
} > SpamAssassin::Client perl module that contacts spamd (via the socket)
} > and call that from MIMEDefang.
}
} Hmmm... on further reflection, your original request was for per-user
} SpamAssassin preferences.
}
} I think your best bet is to turn OFF MIMEDefang's SpamAssassin
} integration, and run it from procmail.

     No, it isn't.  This has quite a bit more overhead.  Also, you
can't reject messages this way.  You either have to discard them, or
bounce them.  Bouncing spam is a bad idea because it often has the
address of an innocent third party as the return address.  Note the
difference between rejecting and bouncing is that rejecting happens
during the SMTP conversation and bouncing means generating a completely
new message and sending it to the original sender.

} Any MTA-integrated SpamAssassin calls are by their nature
} user-independent (since a given piece of email can have multiple
} recipients).  I think you're stuck with MUA calls only.

     MIMEDefang's stream_by_recipient() function takes care of this
problem.

P.S. You really should wrap your lines somewhere around 70 columns
instead of having whole paragraphs be one long line.

}-- End of excerpt from <Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com>