[Mimedefang] Compliance

Josh Kelley josh at jbc.edu
Tue Apr 12 10:25:56 EDT 2005

Alan Premselaar wrote:

> On what system do you have this implemented? (linux? kernel?)
>
> I'm playing around with an implementation on RedHat ES 3.0 and the
> problem I'm running into is that MIMEDefang runs as the defang user,
> Quota::query is only allowed to get quota information for other users
> if run as the superuser.
>
> did you run into these kind of issues? do you have a work around?

We use a setuid copy of /usr/bin/quota to do quota checking on our Red
Hat server.  (We use a copy rather than making /usr/bin/quota setuid
since any updates to the quota package would reset the setuid bit.)
It's probably not the most efficient setup, but I thought that it would
be simpler than a quota daemon.

I can post my code if anyone's interested, although it's not as fancy as
Jan's.  For example, we don't do any checking on ESMTP SIZE=, we just
bounce for people who have exceeded their quota and exceeded their grace
period.

Josh Kelley