[Mimedefang] Compliance

Alan Premselaar alien at 12inch.com
Tue Apr 12 07:00:57 EDT 2005

Jan Pieter Cornet wrote:

>>>We're not using it for any "compliance" testing (mainly because
>>>we're an ISP), but we do use it for other things:
>>>- rejecting on quota exceeded earlier than sendmail detects it
>>
>>How are you checking quota?  Sounds interesting.
>

> Using the perl interface to quotactl, the Quota module. The big
> advantage of this is that we are able to reject at the SMTP level,
> based on quota, instead of having mail.local detect the out of
> quota condition, and then bounce it. This saves us on average
> about 4 or 5 bounces per second (with peaks to more than 10/sec
> during some spam runs).
[snip]

On what system do you have this implemented? (linux? kernel?)

I'm playing around with an implementation on RedHat ES 3.0 and the
problem I'm running into is that MIMEDefang runs as the defang user,
Quota::query is only allowed to get quota information for other users if
run as the superuser.

did you run into these kind of issues? do you have a work around?

Thanks for sharing your code/logic and any assistance.

Alan