[Mimedefang] mimedefang and clamav

Speedy Sweedy speedysweedy at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 6 15:13:11 EDT 2005

>What percentage of your total e-mail volume consists of viruses?
>On our server, about 1% of all e-mail messages are viruses.

I don't know what the percentage is, but it is ALOT higher than 1% here.  I
would guess that its closer to 50 or 60% - It's so rediculous, I was
actually thinking of having a stand alone clamav server and then mailertable
the good emails to the mimedefang server.  Except, I'm not sure if I can
call clamav before mailertable kicks in.

>Also, there is a security advantage to callimg Clam from MIMEDefang,
>because
>MIMEDefang can pass it both the raw MIME message and the unpacked message
>parts.  This makes it harder for malformed MIME viruses to slip through
>because
>they'd have to exploit bugs in *both* MIME::Tools and ClamAV's MIME parser.

Yes, this is exactly why I wanted to have mimedefang make a second call to
clamav once it passes clamav the first time.

Take charge with a pop-up guard built on patented Microsoft® SmartScreen
Technology.
first two months FREE*.