[Mimedefang] Dual system: filter_recipient and sendmail

Feyaerts Vincent Vincent.Feyaerts at ua.ac.be
Thu Apr 21 04:08:00 EDT 2005

Hi

I've been using mimedefang for some time now and I ran into a problem.
In our organisation we have a bunch of internal linux mail servers and
also a few exchange mailers. All the accounts on the linux mail servers
are listed in the aliases/virtusertable files on our main linux system.
(visible from outside our network)

For the accounts on Exchange 2003 I use an LDAP search that resides in
filter_recipient of mimedefang.

The problem: when I enable the use of filter_recipient it seems that
this filter is solely responsible for deciding if an e-mail address is
valid - not sendmail anymore.

Is there a way in filter_recipient to return a value and say to
sendmail: "I don't know", check your aliases and virtusertable (in other
words: standard sendmail procedure). So in short: filter_recipient
should respond "ok" (LDAP search was good) or "sendmail, you check it"..
it's this last thing. I need this because many e-mail addresses are just
not available in our LDAP repository..

Thanks

Vincent Feyaerts
Sysadmin