[Mimedefang] using a RAM disk for mimedefang temp directory?

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com
Wed Apr 27 15:36:45 EDT 2005

mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com wrote:
> we've been using mimedefang+spamassassin under sendmail for quite some
> time now, very successfully.
>
> looking around for ways to speed things up and/or just make them more
> efficient ... wondering if anyone has experience using a RAM disk
> (tmpfs as opposed to an expen$ive solid state disk) for mimedefang's
> temporary directory?

It's really very very very much faster to use a tmpfs directory for spool.

Here's my fstab entry on a machine with 2GB of RAM:
none    /var/spool/MIMEDefang   tmpfs   mode=750,size=256M,uid=defang,gid=defang 0       0

I have an inkling that recent versions of SA use /tmp as well - for things like checking Razor/Pyzor - but haven't investigated as the server seems to be fine as is.

Using tmpfs for the quarantine directory is NOT a good idea.

Matthew.van.Eerde (at) hbinc.com                 805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com         Software Engineer
perl -e"map{y/a-z/l-za-k/;print}shift" "Jjhi pcdiwtg Ptga wprztg,"