[Mimedefang] Mimedefang stream-by-recipient and Mailman

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Tue Apr 26 15:21:00 EDT 2005

We have a server that has Mailman running on it for close to 80 lists,
and, on that same server, we have our
sendmail+mimedefang+File::Scan+Anomy mail server.  Mailman sends its
mail out locally to the sendmail server (not utilizing VERP as that
caused us a world of other problems in the past), and mimedefang seems
to be analyzing the messages as they go out (not what was originally
intended).

Quite suddenly, emails FROM the mailman server were not going out.
After a frazzling hour, it was discovered that a section of code in the
mimedefang filter was causing the problem, although the piece of code
was in place for well over a month.  Commenting it out and restarting
mimedefang allowed the mailman mail to be sent out.

The code was:
   if (stream_by_recipient())
   {
      return;
   }

Sendmail was logging the following when a message was sent to our test list:
Apr 26 15:00:27 ourserver sendmail[11884]: j3QJ0FmI011884:
from=<test at lists.ourserver.com>, size=1964, class=-30, nrcpts=5,
msgid=<1114542006.426e8fb6f2ae6 at lists.ourserver.com>, proto=ESMTP,
daemon=MTA, relay=localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1]
Apr 26 15:00:29 ourserver mimedefang.pl[11378]: j3QJ0FmJ011884: streamed
by domain or recipient and resent.
Apr 26 15:00:29 ourserver mimedefang[11362]: j3QJ0FmJ011884: Discarding
because filter instructed us to
Apr 26 15:00:29 ourserver sendmail[11884]: j3QJ0FmJ011884: Milter: data,
discard
Apr 26 15:00:29 ourserver sendmail[11884]: j3QJ0FmJ011884: discarded

Now, we've disabled stream_by_recipient, but it's global.  We would
prefer to keep the stream_by_recipient() call in there (the server can
handle it) for other purposes.  What would be the best way, in
filter_begin(), to utilize stream_by_recipient() for messages only
coming from external hosts (in other words, to utilize
stream_by_recipient() on all emails EXCEPT localhost)?

Thanks!
-Rich