[Mimedefang] Dual system: filter_recipient and sendmail

James Ebright jebright at esisnet.com
Thu Apr 21 12:21:17 EDT 2005

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 10:08:00 +0200, Feyaerts Vincent wrote

> The problem: when I enable the use of filter_recipient it seems that
> this filter is solely responsible for deciding if an e-mail address
> is valid - not sendmail anymore.

Only if you code it that way... we have many pass throughs and local virtual
users in ours and also have a fairly elaborate filter_recipient and do not
have this issue... of course ours doesn't determine validity of a user at all,
we rely on the MTA for that (of course if you use MS exchange you are S.O.L.
there unless you have the recent upgrade).

Of course you could simply do the checks for the exchange boxes and then pass
the others and let sendmail determine their validity (assuming the mimedefang
box and your linux sendmail box is the same box, if not look at this:
http://www.mimedefang.org/kwiki/index.cgi?RelayCheckAddresses).

Alternatively you could check them yourself, but that route requires a bit
more work on your part to make sure you are parsing it the same way sendmail
does (we parse our access.db hash here on some boxes that delay_checks, we are
using Sendmail::AccessDB for that purpose).

Jim

----
EsisNet.com Webmail Client