[Mimedefang] Streams and MaxRecipientsPerMessage

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Apr 19 09:41:59 EDT 2005

James Ebright wrote:

> Honestly, in either case it would be preferable to be able to break out prior
> to the data phase if at all possible, in that respect I believe option 1 to be
> better suited as we have all reciepients sent prior to the data phase of the
> conversation.

The big downside with option 1 is a potentially long delay after
the end of DATA as the message is scanned N times.  For a message
with 100 recipients, this post-DATA delay can be considerable, and
the RFCs explicitly say that implementations should take pains to
minimize the post-DATA delay (because of a potential race condition
if the sender times out before the receiving MTA.)