[Mimedefang] Streams and MaxRecipientsPerMessage

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Mon Apr 18 14:48:20 EDT 2005

If I want to be able to reject instead of bounce all messages when doing
stream by recipient, can I set MaxRecipientsPerMessage to 1 in sendmail?
This should limit incoming messages to one recipient per message and allow
the filter to reject the message at the SMTP level, correct?

Downsides:

        * Legitimate mail to multiple recipients has to be sent once
therefore scanned multiple times
        * Spammers possibly opening more simultaneous connections?
        * extra network traffic (We have an OC3 - Do I care?)
        * others that I don't see?

Upsides:

        * I get to use SMTP rejects
        * Isn't the above enough? :)

---

An electronic message is "spam" IF: (1) the recipient's personal identity
and context are irrelevant because the message is equally applicable to
many other potential recipients, AND (2) the recipient has not verifiably
granted deliberate, explicit, and still-revocable permission for it to be
sent, AND (3) the transmission and reception of the message appears to the
recipient to give a disproportionate benefit to the sender.  --
http://www.mail-abuse.com/spam_def.html

William Brown
Messaging/Filtering Services
Technology Services, WNYRIC, Erie 1 BOCES