[Mimedefang] MIME-Base64-3.03 and Fedora Core, possibly other Linux distributions

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Sep 23 08:14:31 EDT 2004

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Tomasz Ostrowski wrote:

> |         tar xvfz MIME-Base64-VERSION.tar.gz
> |         cd MIME-Base64-VERSION
> |         perl Makefile.PL INSTALLDIRS=site
> |         make
> |         make install

> This does not work - core Perl MIME-Base64 is used anyway because
> Fedora Core and, I suppose, other linux distributions have
> "site-perl" directories after core Perl directories in @INC:

That's why this code appears in mimedefang.pl.in:

# Move site library directory ahead of default library directory in @INC.
# That's so we can sanely package our own version of MIME::Base64 that
# won't conflict with the built-in one on RPM-based platforms.
use lib '@PERLINSTALLSITELIB@';

> It's impossible to install MIME::Base64 3.05 without breaking Perl
> package and it is impossible to creating MIME::Base64 package. The
> only way to do it right is creating new Perl package with bundled
> MIME::Base64 3.05.

Nope.  Believe it or not, I did actually test this! :-)