[Mimedefang] Mimedefang error

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Mon Sep 13 15:09:12 EDT 2004

> Do you have autolearn enabled? Are there stale bayes database learn lock
> files left over, after the crash, in /var/spool/MIMEDefang/ ?
>
> We have these messages here too, I think they appear when two or more
> processes attempt to feed the bayes db at the same time. The messages
> disappear after a short time and I cannot see any harm. (Is this right?)

Generally, I have found that this points to a busy server with a big bayes
database.

Recommend adding this to your config for SpamAssassin:

bayes_auto_learn                        1
bayes_auto_expire                       1
bayes_learn_to_journal                  1

This will cause new AUTO-LEARNED Bayes entries to be written to a separate
database letting the other processes open with Read-Only mode.  I then run a
cron script daily to merge/expire the entries.  Something like:

#!/bin/sh

su -l <user you run mimedegang as> -s /bin/bash -c
"/usr/local/bin/sa-learn --rebuild"

Regards,
KAM