[Mimedefang] Conceptual stage at setting up email gateway

Gordon Henderson gordon at drogon.net
Mon Sep 13 11:41:36 EDT 2004

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 webmaster+jnsolutions.co.uk at jnsolutions.co.uk wrote:

> I'm looking at setting up an email gateway for myself, due to the number
> of emails that are either spam or viruses I seem to be getting.  I
> currently have about 4 POP3 accounts plus I own two further domains.
>
> The domains won't be a problem, as all I think I need to do is setup
> Mimedefang with an email engine (e.g. sendmail?) on a server and that's
> then covered.
>
> However, I'm not sure whether I can use a linux based email server to
> load the pop3 accounts I use, and then check them for SPAM/Viruses.....
>
> Is it possible?  And what do I need?

It's very possible. Linux + Sendmail + Mimedefang + Span Assasian + a
virus checker works quite well. You'll need to shop around for a virus
checker that runs under Linux. I use Sophos, but you need to but a license
for it (and sohpos are a bunch of arses when it comes to licensing IMO!!!)
so I'm about to look at ClamAV which I understand runs under Linux with
Mimedefang.

Alternatively, you could look at using an ISP to host the domain & email
and provide the anti-spam, etc. for you - there are many out there who can
help, I'm sure!

Gordon