[Mimedefang] Catching the porn spams

Minica, Nelson (EDS) Nelson.Minica at RailAmerica.com
Wed Sep 8 17:46:48 EDT 2004

haha, I thought David might respond with "C/R is evil".  :)  I agree it
COULD be a bad thing, but if designed/written correctly I think it would
work fine.  Blacklist based systems cannot keep up and cause too many
false positives.  It's like we have two billion doors and are trying to
identify and close the doors a bad e-mail might come through.

Probably the most important things a whitelist system can do is 1)
automatically whitelist addresses the person sends mail to 2) make sure
challenges come from the person's actual email address.  Following those
two rules, even IF everyone were using it, challenges wouldn't get
challenged (one of main objections to C/R).  Also tagging outbound
messages so anyone could reply...

I wasn't really worried about it until they started coming in with
images embedded in the email itself.  I started thinking... what if my
computer were unlocked, e-mail opened, a message comes in, and my
children are introduced to porn?  It was possible, no matter how remote.
Especially my sons, an addiction to lust is like a forest fire, easy to
start - hard to extinguish...

-----Original Message-----
From: mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com
[mailto:mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com] On Behalf Of David
F. Skoll

Please don't use C/R.  It's one of those solutions that's extremely
effective if 0.01% of the Internet uses it, but will destroy e-mail if
lots of people use it.

Is one porn spam a month really that bad?  (I use a text-based mail
reader, so perhaps I'm spared obnoxious images, but really... a few bad
words a month isn't the end of the world.)