[Mimedefang] ClamAV setup

Thomas Barnes Thomas.Barnes at barnestormer.com
Tue Sep 7 12:23:45 EDT 2004

 > The binary is /usr/local/bin/clamscan
for  integrating the ClamAv you would use the clamd daemon (But I
believe mimedefang can use the clamscan too )

 > 1 - How do I have mimedefang-filter to use the binary to scan the
 > incoming mail?
First, install the ClamAV software. use --enable-milter
--with-user=defang for configure.

 > 2 - How do I get clamav dat file updates?
you run the freshclam daemon (it works out-of-the-boxs perfectly
according to the docs /docs/html/ )

 > 3 - Will clamav scan within zip files?
Yes. Also be sure to install the bzip package and libs.
there are some sample viruses in the /test directory.

I ran the tests with clamscan and also attempted to mail them. the clam
milter caught them fine

One note about my experience. I was a bit confused about the milter
sockets and the clamd socket.
when you configure your sockets, be sure that the clamd and the
clamav-milter are not the same; I did this and it took me a while to
figure out what was wrong.

e.g .

1: for communication between clamd and clamav-milter
In clamav.conf I use:
  LocalSocket /var/spool/MIMEDefang/clamd.sock

2:for communication between clamav-milter and sendmail
in my sendmail.mc, I use
INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`mimedefang',`S=unix:/var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock,
F=T, T=S:2m;R:2m')
INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`clmilter',`S=local:/var/spool/CLAMav/clmilter.sock,
F=T, T=S:1m;R:1m')dnl