[Mimedefang] OT: sendmail error message: "<<< No message collected >>>"

Lucas Albers admin at cs.montana.edu
Fri Sep 10 14:59:11 EDT 2004

I am trying to resolve an error message I am seeing on some mail passing
through my external mail server, running mimedefang 2.39 and sendmail
8.12.3 to our internal mail server.

Users are seeing the following message in their mailbox:
"<<< no Message Collected >>>"

It appears via the changelog from sendmail 8.11.0/8.11.0
as of 2000/07/19
http://www.sendmail.org/ftp/RELEASE_NOTES
this particular problem was fixed:

"If a message data file can't be opened at delivery time, panic and
		abort the attempt instead of delivering a message that
		states "<<< No Message Collected >>>".
"

My questions:
Any idea how this could be occuring on 8.12.3?
This is the first I have seen of it, but I've seen it on 3 or more messages
in the last day.
The logfiles don't show any strange delivery error messages, so I am not
sure how to resolve it.
Ideas?

--
Luke Computer Science System Administrator
Security Administrator,College of Engineering