[Mimedefang] How do I have mimedefang-filter to use the Clamav

Mark Penkower mark at roycenet.com
Wed Sep 8 10:57:02 EDT 2004

Thanks for the replies.

I recompiled Mimedefang (2.39) after compiling clamav and it recognized
that clamav was there.  I went into the clamav-milter directory and
compiled clamav-milter.  Do I need this?  Is it possible to just run the
clamav binary-  not as a milter and have Mimedefang call it to scan the
mailboxes?

Also, what is the difference between clamscan and clamd scan?

I see

I found the binary clamd and ran it.

Now ps -ef reports:

root     25709     1  0 10:24 ?        00:00:00 lt-clamd

netstat -a reports

unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     556180 /tmp/clamd

If I run clamscan or clamdscan on an infected (even a zip) file it reports
the infection.

I edited /etc/mail/mimedefang-filter to have it look for clamd - but
mimedefang complains:

Could not connect
  to clamd daemon at /var/spool/MIMEDefang/clamd.sock

How do I get the socket -  there  - the default is /tmp/clamd:

srwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            0 Sep  8 10:24 clamd

If I do so, will Mimedefang then call up clamd and scan messages, or do I
need the milter entries in sendmail?

Also, where is the init.d script - I can not find it.

Thanks again.

Mark Penkower