[Mimedefang] roaringpenguin.com is listed in rfc-ignorant

Keith Patton kpatton at dallas.photronics.com
Wed Sep 29 14:16:58 EDT 2004

Doug Brott wrote:

> David F. Skoll wrote:
>
>> Hi, all.
>>
>> The ignoramuses at RFC-Ignorant have decided to blacklist
>> roaringpenguin.com.
>> Details at:
>>
>> http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/tools/detail.php?domain=roaringpenguin.com&submitted=1087414364&table=postmaster
>>

>> Note the final line on that page.  Ironic, isn't it?
>>
>> I have a long-standing policy of not bending to the whims of zealous
>> blacklisters.  If you use RFC-Ignorant.org (and you get this message),
>> complain to the admins who run it.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> David.
>>

> David,
>
>   Good for you with sticking to your own policy.  I found long ago
> that many RBLs are overzealous.  I've lost many mails due to false
> positives from these tools.  As someone else here posted, False
> Positives are much more important than False Negatives.  It is very
> unprofessional for a company to reject E-mails from a potential client
> and goes a long way toward generating ill-will.  This is not good in
> business.
>
>   The fact that I lost faith in RBLs long ago is what led me to
> MIMEDefang and SpamAssassin in the first place.  The combination of
> these two tools (and now ClamAV) have proven to be a great asset to
> me.  Now, I never leave home without it :).  While I still get a small
> number of False Negatives from time to time, it is months between
> False Positives.  And, thanks to MIMEDefang, I have started
> implementing SPF with significant success as well.
>
>   Thanks for your tireless work and fear not the ignorant folks.

David,

 I too stand behind you.. I fight countless spam bombs of mail to these
types of accounts..    The newest trick is to spoof my addresses as the
from in their spam.
As a result, I get bombarded by bounce backs..  I used your same logic,
if the account doesn't send out email then it can't get a bounce back
message so I too reject email bound for these accounts knowing that they
are bogus anyway.

I just wanted to say that I appreciate all your hard work...
-Keith