[Mimedefang] roaringpenguin.com is listed in rfc-ignorant

Doug Brott brott at redh.com
Wed Sep 29 13:39:42 EDT 2004

David F. Skoll wrote:

>Hi, all.
>
>The ignoramuses at RFC-Ignorant have decided to blacklist roaringpenguin.com.
>Details at:
>
>http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/tools/detail.php?domain=roaringpenguin.com&submitted=1087414364&table=postmaster
>
>Note the final line on that page.  Ironic, isn't it?
>
>I have a long-standing policy of not bending to the whims of zealous
>blacklisters.  If you use RFC-Ignorant.org (and you get this message),
>complain to the admins who run it.
>
>Regards,
>
>David.

David,

   Good for you with sticking to your own policy.  I found long ago that
many RBLs are overzealous.  I've lost many mails due to false positives
from these tools.  As someone else here posted, False Positives are much
more important than False Negatives.  It is very unprofessional for a
company to reject E-mails from a potential client and goes a long way
toward generating ill-will.  This is not good in business.

   The fact that I lost faith in RBLs long ago is what led me to
MIMEDefang and SpamAssassin in the first place.  The combination of
these two tools (and now ClamAV) have proven to be a great asset to me.
Now, I never leave home without it :).  While I still get a small number
of False Negatives from time to time, it is months between False
Positives.  And, thanks to MIMEDefang, I have started implementing SPF
with significant success as well.

   Thanks for your tireless work and fear not the ignorant folks.

--
Doug Brott
brott at redh.com