[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang + spamd

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Sep 22 22:07:17 EDT 2004

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, John Scully wrote:

> On any system with a lot of rule sets SA represents about 90% of the total
> message prosessing time.  C vs perl makes a difference on that part.

???

But spamd is written in pure Perl -- there's not an ounce of C there.

So you're saying that invoking spamc, which involves a fork and exec,
followed by transmitting the message to the Perl spamd and getting the answer
back, is faster than calling the Perl API directly?  I don't doubt your
measurements, but they must have been done under some pretty strange
conditions.