[Mimedefang] OT - Problem sending display name

Alberto da Silva alberto.dasilva at rmb.co.za
Tue Sep 21 11:49:50 EDT 2004

mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com wrote on 2004/09/21 16:12:10:

> Group,
>
> I appologize for the off-topic post.  But before I go nuts, I'm hoping
the
> SMTP gurus here might have a quick answer.
>
> I have a developer trying to write an app that sends email.  It is
speaking
> SMTP directly to my internal sendmail 8.13.1 SMTP relay.  He's trying to
get
> the "display name" to go along with the <sender at address> in the MAIL
FROM:
> portion of the SMTP dialogue.  I've tried finding a clear specific
reference
> for the syntax, but have come up empty.  Is this something that should be

> done in the header or the envelope?  Does anyone have an example of the
> specific syntax?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ken

Ken,

It's part of the "DATA" - not the envelope.

Try:

telnet sendmailsrv smtp
220 rmb.co.za ESMTP Mail server ready at Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:41:33 +0200
(SAST) - NO UCE/UBE
EHLO rmb.co.za
250-radium.rmb.co.za Hello carbon.rmb.co.za [196.4.165.8], pleased to meet
you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250 HELP
MAIL FROM:<Alberto.daSilva at acjs.co.za>
250 2.1.0 <Alberto.daSilva at acjs.co.za>... Sender ok
RCPT TO:<Alberto.daSilva at rmb.co.za>
250 2.1.5 <Alberto.daSilva at rmb.co.za>... Recipient ok
DATA
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
From: "Ken Cormack - the Boss" <ken.cormack at roadway.com>
Subject: Testing

This is a test

.
250 2.0.0 i8LFl9Mn010898 Message accepted for delivery
quit
221 2.0.0 radium.rmb.co.za closing connection