[Mimedefang] OT - Problem sending display name

Ken Cormack ken.cormack at roadway.com
Tue Sep 21 10:12:10 EDT 2004

Group,

I appologize for the off-topic post.  But before I go nuts, I'm hoping the
SMTP gurus here might have a quick answer.

I have a developer trying to write an app that sends email.  It is speaking
SMTP directly to my internal sendmail 8.13.1 SMTP relay.  He's trying to get
the "display name" to go along with the <sender at address> in the MAIL FROM:
portion of the SMTP dialogue.  I've tried finding a clear specific reference
for the syntax, but have come up empty.  Is this something that should be
done in the header or the envelope?  Does anyone have an example of the
specific syntax?

Thanks!

Ken