[Mimedefang] New MIME-tools release

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Sep 15 22:53:09 EDT 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Rudolph Pereira wrote:

> Does this fix any of the issues raised in the most recent mime
> vulnerability advisories from corsaire
> (http://www.corsaire.com/news/040913-mime.html), etc?

Yes and no.

The Corsaire advisory was an essentially content-free PR stunt.
See my reply on the Bugtraq list (unfortunately, I cannot provide
a URL right now, because securityfocus.com appears to be dead.)

Basically, MIME-tools itself is neither vulnerable nor not-vulnerable
to these issues -- it's just a library.  The vulnerability lies in how
you use it.

Bottom line:  To avoid being bitten by malformed MIME, always call
"action_rebuild()" for any mail that you pass on.  This does have
certain negative side-effects, such as increased CPU time and possible
breakage of S/MIME.  See the comments in the sample filter that comes
with MIMEDefang.