[Mimedefang] New MIME-tools release

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Sep 15 11:05:31 EDT 2004

Hi, all.

I've released MIME::Tools 5.413 to CPAN, and it's also available from:

	http://www.mimedefang.org/static/mime-tools.php

This version includes all the patches in our RP-PATCHED version, plus
a whole bunch of other bug-fixes and patches from other MIME-tools users.

Please note that this release *requires* MIME::Base64 version 3.03 or
newer.  If you're running a Linux distro, upgrading MIME::Base64
separately can cause problems with up2date and similar tools, which
will get upset because the perl package will have been modified.

The upcoming MIMEDefang 2.45 release will have a fix for this.  In the
meantime, you can install MIME::Base64 as follows:

	perl Makefile.PL INSTALLDIRS=site
	make
	make install

which installs the module in your "site" directory rather than the
core Perl directory.

Unfortunately, because of terminal brain-damage, Perl puts the core
directory before the site directory in the include path, so you have
to do this near the top of mimedefang.pl to get it to work:

	use lib '/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3';

where you replace '/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3' with your site directory.

This lets you use a new version of MIME::Base64 without upsetting your
distro's package-management tools.

As the maintainer of MIME-tools, I'm probably abandoning the 6.x-ALPHA
series.  Development will most likely continue from 5.413.