[Mimedefang] Conceptual Stage of setting up email gateway

Peter A. Cole peteracole at bigpond.com
Fri Sep 10 06:53:03 EDT 2004

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:39:24 +0100 (GMT/BST)
Carlton Thomas <carlton at gifford.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> I am a newbie to this list so you may wanna take anything I
> say with a pinch of salt :)
>
> I recommend that you install fetchmail on your new Fedora server.
> Fetchmail does exactly what it says on the tin. It grabs mail from
> a POP/IMAP/SMTP server and passes it on to your local MTA (eg. sendmail).
> Here is an extract from the manpage:
>
> "As each message is retrieved fetchmail normally delivers  it  via
> SMTP to port 25 on the machine it is running on (localhost), just as
> though it were being passed in over a normal TCP/IP link"
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Regards !
>
> --
> Carlton

You hit the nail on the head there Carlton.

On my home mail server here (Debian Sarge), I have 5 email accounts all from my ISP, so I have to POP them.

I use fetchmail, which delivers them to sendmail, and therefore mimedefang/spamassassin/clamav and then to my maildirs.

Works like a charm, and I currently have about a 99% success rate on spam and, since I've had it configured properly, not a single false positive.

Oh, and on that note, many thanks to the mimedefang team and list for getting my mail server this successful!

Pete