[Mimedefang] Re: Calm AV setup - Almost done

Matt Smith Matt at Coolchilli.com
Thu Sep 9 20:27:36 EDT 2004

On Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 14:15:45 -0400, Mark Penkower <mark at roycenet.com>
wrote:

> I then need to recompile MimeDefang (2.39) to recognize the scanner.
After
> running .configure, I get:

MD 2.39 is a little old now, I suggest upgrading to 2.44 if for no other
reason than because you can ;) Also, on the MD www page
(http://www.mimedefang.org/node.php?id=46#comment) there is two issues with
v2.39 that might bite you.
If you have a sniff through the MD configure script, you can run it
with --enable-clamd or --enable-clamav which should then force a detection.
Also, don't quote me too strongly on this one, but I don't think you *need*
to run both clamd and clam-milter.
As i see it, MD will pass AV scanning to clamd via the socket, if you use
the milter, that would be sendmail passing the email to clam, which would
then travel to MD (or vice versa, depending on your sendmail.mc file);
therefore scanning the message twice increasing the overhead?
I've got clamd running on several servers, but none using clam-milter, but
it has been documented in the past that I can quite easily be wrong!

> Thanks
> Mark Penkower

Regards,
Matt