[Mimedefang] Catching the porn spams

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Sep 9 12:30:17 EDT 2004

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

> Besides the point of pre-purchasing the domains, I think if you coded this
> up, you would be in violation of many whois access rules and end up getting
> blocked.

Well, you could do an enhanced form of greylisting.  If mail comes
from an unknown domain, you greylist for 24 hours.  Otherwise, you use
the normal greylisting timing.  After 24 hours, the SURBLs should have
caught up.  This doesn't involve WHOIS lookups and is independent of
when the domains were registered.

The obvious downside is a very long (probably unacceptably long) initial
delay for mail from a new domain. :-(