[Mimedefang] Catching the porn spams

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Sep 8 22:37:30 EDT 2004

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Minica, Nelson (EDS) wrote:

> haha, I thought David might respond with "C/R is evil".  :)  I agree it
> COULD be a bad thing, but if designed/written correctly I think it would
> work fine.

Yes, that's what they all say.

> Probably the most important things a whitelist system can do is 1)
> automatically whitelist addresses the person sends mail to 2) make sure
> challenges come from the person's actual email address.  Following those
> two rules, even IF everyone were using it, challenges wouldn't get
> challenged (one of main objections to C/R).  Also tagging outbound
> messages so anyone could reply...

How would you handle delivery status notifications?  Throw them out?
Deliver them anyway?

> I wasn't really worried about it until they started coming in with
> images embedded in the email itself.  I started thinking... what if my
> computer were unlocked, e-mail opened, a message comes in, and my
> children are introduced to porn?

Well, I use pine to read my e-mail so...

> Especially my sons, an addiction to lust is like a forest fire, easy to
> start - hard to extinguish...

... it would have to be pretty dramatic and original ASCII art to awaken
lust in anyone.

[Having been a teenager once, I recall that I didn't need porn spam to
awaken hard-to-extinguish lust.  It's human nature. :-)]