[Mimedefang] Dealing with massive spam burst

Richard A Nelson cowboy at cavein.org
Wed Sep 8 14:51:25 EDT 2004

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Les Mikesell wrote:

> > You should be doing this anyway.  All mail servers have a growing onus
> > on them to SMTP reject incoming emails at the organization boundary
> > wherever possible. There are various methods depending on the version
> > of Exchange you use.  A cron job to run an LDAP query and generate a
> > sendmail "access" file is commonly used.  Search the list archives for details.
>
> Has anyone come up with a 'pure sendmail' way to accomplish this?  That
> is, given a firewalled machine running sendmail, to periodically rebuild
> an access list containing all the addresses it will accept, and on the
> exposed machine a way to merge the lists from an assortment of
> destination machines?

I'd think that using LDAP MAPS for users (and mail routing) - and
allowing queries from the MX servers would qualify as 'pure sendmail'
solution.

I've been working towards this for my (very small) setup, but
unfortunately don't control my MX boxes - and am not likely to be
in that position for some time :(

--
Rick Nelson
Life'll kill ya                         -- Warren Zevon