[Mimedefang] Dealing with massive spam burst

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com
Wed Sep 8 13:17:56 EDT 2004

dr john halewood wrote:
> The only other thing I can
> think of is rejecting email to non-existant users before defang does
> most of it's tests, but that would involve rigging up a system to
> verify each user against the Exchange system that the mail routes
>   through to. Any suggestions/clues to what I'm missing very welcome.

You should be doing this anyway.  All mail servers have a growing onus on them to SMTP reject incoming emails at the organization boundary wherever possible.

There are various methods depending on the version of Exchange you use.  A cron job to run an LDAP query and generate a sendmail "access" file is commonly used.  Search the list archives for details.

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com                      805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com         Software Engineer
perl -e"map{y/a-z/l-za-k/;print}shift" "Jjhi pcdiwtg Ptga wprztg,"