[Mimedefang] Catching the porn spams

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Sep 8 10:27:45 EDT 2004

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Minica, Nelson (EDS) wrote:

> Even with all my RBL/SpamAssasin/SPF/Greylisting spam blocking efforts I
> was still getting about 1 porn spam a month, and that's 1 porn spam a
> month too many for me.  Switching to a whitelist based system (like
> challenge-response) is the only answer that seems to be 100% (at this
> point in time).  Slowly writing/testing one, seems to be working good so
> far.

Please don't use C/R.  It's one of those solutions that's extremely
effective if 0.01% of the Internet uses it, but will destroy e-mail if
lots of people use it.

Is one porn spam a month really that bad?  (I use a text-based mail reader,
so perhaps I'm spared obnoxious images, but really... a few bad words
a month isn't the end of the world.)

I do have my own anti-porn rules, but I hesitate to post them because they'll
probably trigger alarms on all your anti-spam systems. :-)