[Mimedefang] Dedicated Anti-Spam Server Config

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Sep 8 08:26:08 EDT 2004

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Martin, Jeremy wrote:

> anti-spam server, then another file "smtproutes" lists which servers
> each domain's mail should be sent to once it has been processed.

> How do I reproduce this with Sendmail/MIMEDefang -

With the "mailertable" feature.  In your sendmail.mc file, use:

	FEATURE(`mailertable')

Then create a file called /etc/mail/mailertable that looks like this:

domain1.net		esmtp:[host.for.domain1.mail]
domain2.net		esmtp:[host.for.domain2.mail]

Then generate the mailertable database file (probably by typing
"make -C /etc/mail" on a modern Linux system.)

> Our Qmail server can process about 100 messages per minute with full
> remote checks enabled with SpamAssassin, using SQL based user
> preferences. Our friends reported scanning 26,000 messages per minute on
> a dual-Xeon box with two Sendmail's running, each bound to a separate
> Ethernet card, and each bound to a different CPU.

The 26,000/minute figure is highly suspect.  I doubt you can do a
SpamAssassin scan that quickly.  Plain-vanilla Sendmail without any scanning
will have trouble sustaining that throughput unless you use exotic hardware
like a battery-backed ramdisk for the mail queue.

Our CanIt and CanIt-PRO products, based on SpamAssassin with a SQL
back end, can sustain 10-15 messages/second on comparable hardware.
Without the SQL back end, you could probably do at most 20/second.