[Mimedefang] ClamAV setup

Chris Gauch cgauch at digicon.net
Tue Sep 7 12:07:54 EDT 2004

Mark,

I'll answer your questions below...

> I have 3 questions:
>

> 1 - How do I have mimedefang-filter to use the binary to scan the incoming
> mail?

Did you install ClamAV prior to building/installing MIMEDefang?  If so,
MIMEDefang should've detected ClamAV and should be all set to use it.  Edit
your clamav.conf file in /usr/local/etc/ so that it runs under user
"defang".  You should be able to start the clamd daemon by typing "service
clamd start" at the command prompt, or by starting it directly from the init
script in /etc/init.d/.  The clamd daemon needs to be running in order for
MIMEDefang to call on it automatically for virus scanning.

> 2 - How do I get clamav dat file updates?

Create a cron.hourly script that executes the freshclam script.  Edit your
crontab in /etc so that your cron.hourly runs at 15 to 45 minutes after the
hour or something because the ClamAV update servers are busy at the top of
the hour.

> 3 - Will clamav scan within zip files?

Yes.  Take a look at the clamav.conf file -- it's usually located in
/usr/local/etc/clamav.conf.  ClamAV WILL scan both ZIP and RAR files,
although RAR scanning is somewhat buggy (to my knowledge).

Hope this helps.

- Chris