[Mimedefang] Server crashes

Alan Madill amadill at hwy16.com
Mon Sep 6 00:58:31 EDT 2004

Late reply.

The system had so many files in the /var/spool/mqueue directory
that "rm -f /var/spool/mqueue/*" would fail.  (find worked)  Sendmail
was leaving 6 month old files there.

I was convinced it was a hardware problem.  I even set up a MRTG
page to watch the load average etc.
http://mrtg.hwy16.com/sysindex.html
The load average page at week 34 is where I cleaned the queue
out.

Once the files were deleted the system runs fine.  I now run
tmpwatch with a 7 day timeout on the queue directory.

It was a pathologically-overloaded server.

--
Alan Madill - Aspen House Systems
250 567-4200