[Mimedefang] X-Scanned-By: MIMEDefang 2.48 on 127.0.0.1

Mike Atkinson mikea at kconline.com
Sat Oct 30 11:44:26 EDT 2004

David F. Skoll wrote:

> Do the two that think they're 127.0.0.1 have proper host names that resolve
> to a real IP address?
>
> 2) Otherwise, use whatever gethostbyname(gethostname()) returns as the
>    machine's IP address.

The boxes did have proper forward and reverse DNS, uname -a was correct,
sendmail knew its hostname in the smtp greeting banner, etc.  Everything
looked good using dig on both the hostnames and ip's in question.

Using gethostbyname functions in perl did turn up some inconsistencies,
thanks for getting me headed in that direction.

The boxes in question had invalid entries in /etc/hosts that caused
gethostbyname to return "localhost" when the boxes hostname was the
argument (rather than returning the actual hostname.)

  Mike Atkinson - mikea at kconline.com