[Mimedefang] VERY Newbie Question

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Oct 29 22:50:41 EDT 2004

Am Fr, den 29.10.2004 schrieb Yang Xiao um 18:10:

> Won't this check generate a lot of false positive if the sending host
> has a hostname that's different from it's public DNS name? I have had
> several mailhost like this in places I've worked before, it's not
> because we are lazy or careless, but because it's very hard to change
> the hostnmae for various reasons.

I see only spam attempts being rejected. To speak freely, a mail server
administrator who does not setup his server properly, means the server
hostname / IP fits both the forward and reverse DNS entries, is
responsible himself if his wrong setup leads to rejected mails. In times
where SPF and other methods to reduce spam delivery I feel it is a
central job to take care a mail server can't be mistreated as a
suspicious machine.

> But as to my problem, I just want to stop anybody from sending to the
> mail gateway as local domain users because it's a incoming spam filter
> mail host. I guess I would just need to check for MAIL FROM header
> somewhere? But where should I implement this check in MIMEdefang? and
> do you see any senario that it will break anything?

From your more recent posting I see you are on the right way. You will
have to think which parameter combinations ($sender, $recipient, $helo,
$ip, ...) do fulfill requirements for a scenario you want to block by
rejecting the mail. filter_recipient in the mimedefang-filter would be a
proper place to do so. See "man 5 mimedefang-filter". It is an example
for a very good man page and has examples. You can find a lot of other
code when going through this list's archive.

> Yang

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 04:31:57 up 10 days, 1:11, load average: 0.38, 0.45, 0.44