[Mimedefang] Pounded by spam

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Thu Oct 28 23:09:17 EDT 2004

You can always blackhole the ip or range for a time you see fit and then
remove the blackhole...

use the 'route' command for that...

on AIX it's:

route add -net ipaddr -prefix maskbits 127.0.0.1 -blackhole

or -host or whatever.

Have fun...

 -Ben

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Rich West wrote:

> We just got the living daylights pounded out of us by a spam host
> running at 69.6.66.103.
>
> While I know it can be easy to simply block the host, I was wondering if
> there was some way to avoid the problem all together by potentially
> identifying hosts attempting to overload the server (Denial Of Service)
> by throttling down the amount of allowed inbound connections (from
> external sources) from a single host.
>
> Admittedly, this is a bit off topic.. Mimedefang.pl was the process that
> was getting hammered (and subsequently drove the CPU load to >16 before
> we shut down email all together), but I do not think that the fault lies
> with mimedefang (in fact, I don't think there is any 'fault' here)..
> it's more a configuration issue at the MTA level (in this case, sendmail).
>
> -Rich

Ben Kamen - O.D.T., S.P.
Home: ben at benjammin.net                       http://www.benjammin.net
Work: bkamen at uiuc.edu
gPG Pub Key - http://www.benjammin.net/www/pages/library

* NOTE: Opinions and Views discussed via email are my own and not that    *
* of the State of Illinois, University of Illinois or the Illinois Dept   *
* of Natural Resources.                                                   *