[Mimedefang] Pounded by spam

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Thu Oct 28 22:58:58 EDT 2004

We just got the living daylights pounded out of us by a spam host
running at 69.6.66.103.

While I know it can be easy to simply block the host, I was wondering if
there was some way to avoid the problem all together by potentially
identifying hosts attempting to overload the server (Denial Of Service)
by throttling down the amount of allowed inbound connections (from
external sources) from a single host.

Admittedly, this is a bit off topic.. Mimedefang.pl was the process that
was getting hammered (and subsequently drove the CPU load to >16 before
we shut down email all together), but I do not think that the fault lies
with mimedefang (in fact, I don't think there is any 'fault' here)..
it's more a configuration issue at the MTA level (in this case, sendmail).

-Rich