[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang 2.46 is released

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Oct 28 13:40:00 EDT 2004

Hi,

MIMEDefang 2.46 is available at http://www.mimedefang.org/node.php?id=1

The main changes from 2.45 are:

o Better interpretation of Trend Micro virus-scanner return code.

o Much better algorithm for reconstructing messages that avoids creating
  useless multipart/mixed containers with only one sub-part.

o A few small security fixes.

o Refusal to tamper with S/MIME messages in append_boilerplate functions.

o Support for "csav" command-line anti-virus program.

o A mechanism for slaves to "report back" their status to the multiplexor.
  This lets you see exactly what each slave is doing.  For example, typing:

	md-mx-ctrl busyslaves

  on a moderately-busy mail server might result in this output:

	0 B 7006 (In filter_begin i9SHSo49007015)
	2 B 6504 (Running SpamAssassin i9SHSoi2007020)
	3 B 7035 (Running virus scanner i9SHSo6T007023)
	4 B 7036 (Parsing Message i9SHSosS007014)
	5 B 7038 (In filter_begin i9SHSoD2007026)

Full changelog to 2.45 follows.

2004-10-28  David F. Skoll  <dfs at roaringpenguin.com>

	* Version 2.46 RELEASED

	* mimedefang-multiplexor.c: Added mechanism for slaves to send
	back "status reports" to the multiplexor.  The command
	"md-mx-ctrl slaves" now shows the current status of busy slaves
	(eg, "Running SpamAssassin", "recipok <addr at domain.net>", etc.)

	* redhat/mimedefang-init.in: Unconditionally execute "ulimit -s 2048"
	before invoking mimedefang.

2004-10-28 Bill Maidment <bill at maidment.com.au>

	* Added support for Command "csav" anti-virus.

2004-10-27  David F. Skoll  <dfs at roaringpenguin.com>

	* Version 2.46-BETA-2 released.

	* mimedefang.c: Print and log an error if we can't determine our
	own IP address.

	* mimedefang.pl.in: append_html_boilerplate and append_text_boilerplate
	refuse to tamper with S/MIME messages.  They won't descend into
	multipart/signed or multipart/encrypted parts.  Similarly for
	remove_redundant_html_parts.

	* mimedefang.pl.in: Split-and-rebuild algorithm is greatly improved.
	In particular:  In filter_end, the $entity->head correctly contains
	all message headers.  And we try to avoid creating useless
	multipart containers -- if we would end up with a multipart/mixed
	or multipart/alternative with only one sub-part, we "pop" the sub-part
	up to the top level.

2004-10-26  David F. Skoll  <dfs at roaringpenguin.com>

	* Version 2.46-BETA-1 released.

	* mimedefang-filter.5.in: Corrected an error in one of the examples

	* mimedefang.c: Add IP address of scanning host to X-Scanned-By:
	header.

	* SECURITY FIX: mimedefang.c: Tempfail message if RESULTS file
	doesn't terminate with 'F' line.  (Detects disk-full condition.)

	* mimedefang.pl.in (rebuild_entity): Add a Content-Type: header
	if MIME part lacks one.  Some marginal e-mail software chokes on
	a part with a missing content-type header.

	* mimedefang.pl.in: flatten_mime removed.  Support for
	$Stupidity{"flatten"} removed.  *** NOTE INCOMPATIBILITY ***

	* action_add_part revamped completely; we try to preserve original
	multipart type of message.  action_add_part now simply keeps a list
	of parts to be added.  At the end:

		a) If original message was multipart/mixed, we simply add
		the part.

		b) Otherwise, we make a new multipart/mixed container, put
		original message as the first part of this new container, and
		then add part to the multipart/mixed container.

		*** NOTE INCOMPATIBILITY ***

	* Proper multipart type passed to filter_end.

	* All mimedefang.pl-generated messages have an
	Auto-Submitted: auto-generated header.

	* mimedefang.pl.in: Return codes of I/O operations are checked; we
	die if any fail.  This is a security fix.

	* mimedefang.pl.in (interpret_trend_code): Treat any code from
	1 to 9 as indicative of a virus, upon recommendation of Stephane Lentz.

	* mimedefang.pl.in (spam_assassin_init): Add a
	LOCAL_RULES_DIR => @CONFDIR@/spamassassin argument to SpamAssassin
	constructor.

2004-09-22  David F. Skoll  <dfs at roaringpenguin.com>

	* Version 2.45 RELEASED