[Mimedefang] thread_create errors

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Oct 28 11:54:51 EDT 2004

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Stephane Lentz wrote:

> PS : a folk running Linux reported a similar problem
> but he's not runing RH. On Mandrake/SuSE I've never
> seen it. How much traffic do you process ? Which
> hardware ? Try to get some recommendations on
> system tuning from RH since you're paying $$$$ .

Here's some free advice:  On RHEL3, type "ulimit -s":

$ ulimit -s
10240

So each thread wants 10MB of stack space.  That can chew up your RAM pretty
quickly.  I recommend editing the MIMEDefang startup script and putting:

	ulimit -s 2048

just before mimedefang (not the multiplexor!) is invoked.

Right now, the sample red hat script does it only if you have more than
100 slaves, but it should really do it unconditionally.