[Mimedefang] Question about upgrading ClamAv

Kelson kelson at speed.net
Wed Oct 27 13:50:27 EDT 2004

Mark Penkower wrote:
> I compiled up 0.80 on a backup server.  The program and milter are
> working fine.  I don't want to have to also have to compile on the
> production server.  As the backup and production have the same flavor
> and version of Linux, can I just copy over the binaries and
> configuration files, kill and restart the appropriate processes?

What I ususally do in cases like this is tar up the build directory,
copy that over, and run "make install" on the production server.  That
way I can be sure I haven't missed anything.

Strike that -- that's what I *used* to do.  These days I prefer to roll
my own RPMs, which essentially automates the process of copying over the
binaries and config files (plus it removes any outdated files as well.)

When I do have to build something on a production server, I generally
build it as a non-privileged user at low priority.

--
Kelson Vibber