[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang + spamd

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Oct 26 08:06:56 EDT 2004

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Steffen Kaiser wrote:

> Might spamc/spamd gains from the fact that spamd pre-loads more things and
> caches certain internal stuff, which is shared among multiple spamd
> slaves, instead of kept into each MIMEDefang slave?

Unlikely.  I think the real speedup comes if there are fewer spamd slaves
than MIMEDefang slaves.

> You've said to switch to embedded Perl to avoid those problems, so the
> answer probably is no.

Even embedded Perl doesn't help much, unfortunately.  Perl uses a
reference-counting mechanism for garbage collection, which virtually ensures
that every page of memory gets written to, meaning slaves cannot share much
data. :-(  It's a serious shortcoming of Perl.

> Anyway, would it be possible to use the spampd API directly, instead of to
> call spamc? That way one could measure the speed factor and useage of
> resources better. (No, I don't volunteer ;-)

Sure.