[Mimedefang] Problem: virus Mabutu.a at MM not being detected

Administrador DyR systemlogs at dyr.es
Mon Oct 25 04:13:09 EDT 2004

Hi all.

I've just received an email with a suspicious .zip attachment. After
inspecting it, these are its contents, as they are shown by :

"INTRODUCCIón AL SOFTWARE LIBRE.TXT\n\n                 .SCR"

The two '\n' are, currently, two new-line characters.

I've run "uvscan -u --mime suspicious-file.zip" and McAfee has found the
W32/Mabutu.a at MM virus.

However, it seems Mimedefang is not detecting it.

I've tested Mimedefang sending me a message with EICAR test attached,
and it was correctly blocked, so I think my setup is OK (watching the
logs, the mail server keeps on blocking messages with virus).

I've got Mimedefang 2.44, with SpamAssassin 3.0 and
MIME-tools-5.411a-RP-Patched-02.

Perhaps a bug in MIME-tools or Mimedefang?

--
David Marin Carreño <dmarin at dyr.es>
Desarrollo y Recursos, S.L.