[Mimedefang] Filter by sender/recipient

Richard Whelan richard.whelan at pipex.net
Thu Oct 14 11:20:17 EDT 2004

Hi David, Jim

Thanks for your answers.

>On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, Jim McCullars wrote:
>

>>sub filter_recipient {
>>  my ($recipient, $sender, $ip, $hostname, $first, $helo,
>>        $rcpt_mailer, $rcpt_host, $rcpt_addr) = @_;
>>

>>  if($recipient =~ /<?postmaster\@/i) {
>>    return('ACCEPT_AND_NO_MORE_FILTERING', "ok")
>>  }
>>  return ('CONTINUE', "ok");
>>}

I already use filter_recipient so I can slot this in nicely.

>That works perfectly.
>
>But you'd better hope that spammers and virus-writers don't discover
>that you're doing it, because then they can inject spam to anyone at all
>as long as they include postmaster in the list of recipients.

Virus scanning isn't a problem. It's done on a separate system after
going through these systems.

>I would rather do this:  In filter_begin, filter, filter_multipart
>and filter end:
>
>	if ($#Recipients == 0 && $Recipients[0] =~ /<?postmaster\@/i) {
>	    # Skip processing
>	    return;
>	}
>
>It involves more overhead than Jim's solution (because the message is still
>parsed into MIME parts), but is a bit safer.

The systems I have are not the most powerful around, so, for the moment,
I'd rather stick with the solution that has the least overhead, but when
I do upgrade to something a little more robust, I will possibly work
this in instead.

>Regards,
>
>David.

thanks again for you quick responses.