[Mimedefang] Filter by sender/recipient

Richard Whelan richard.whelan at pipex.net
Thu Oct 14 09:39:03 EDT 2004

Hi,

Yesterday one of our customer mail relays received a slight (under
exaggeration) increase of mail traffic through it. The normal 10000 or
so in/out, jumped to over 150000. In theory this should have been no
problem at all, however, the majority of the mail didn't deliver which
instead mailed out the same volume of postmaster emails. These
unfortunately hit out main MTAs, which both have MD+SA. Strangely
enough, for hours on end, the machines were constantly maxed out, with
35 separate MD processes, temp failed huge amounts of mail, which is
still trickling in from the backup MX servers.

What I would like to do, is put a check into MD to test against either
recipient or sender, depending on which is the easiest and less
intensive, and bail out immediately instead of going through the full
MD/SA checks. Considering the amount of mail that goes into the
postmaster mailbox, allowing through a little spam, is relatively
insignificant.

Where is the best place to add a check, and does anyone have a simple
example, as my perl is, well it's better to say it isn't.

Thanks in advance,

Richard

--
Richard Whelan