[Mimedefang] Limiting email size to scan for viruses?

Fernando Gleiser fgleiser at cactus.fi.uba.ar
Wed Oct 13 16:17:56 EDT 2004

I've set up a mail gateway for one of my clients.
it runs FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE-p24, MIMEDefang, SpamAssassin, and clamd
from a freshly cvsuped ports tree.

The machine is busy (acts as a gateway for 500+ accounts), with around
45 concurrent connections all the time (I had to bump MX_MAXIMUM to 60)

Due to "political reasons", many users need to send mails with huge
attachaments (between 5 and 10MB). When one of  those mails arrive,
clamd  dies with an "out of swap space" error. The machine has 512MB
RAM and 1GB swap, so it should be enough, unless I'm missing something.

Is there a way to scan for viruses only messages smaller than 2MB?

I was thinking something like the test before calling to spamassassin,
but I'm not sure if I can do that from within filter_begin.

Any suggestions would be greatly apreciated

				Fer